Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Tribute to Papanwa

As we dive into this entry, I have to cover a few things:



First, if you don't understand the term, Papanwa, that means you haven't watched the movie,"The Testaments" enough. Go check it out.



Second, this post might only be interesting to immediate family. Or, if I'm lucky, to all those who love their fathers. You'll have to decide.





I have a pretty sweet dad, one of the best. And, here's why:





1. My dad is one of the world's best story tellers



As a little boy, I looked forward to hearing a bedtime story every single night from my dad. Some of his more notorious stories are about: His life growing up on a ranch - these usually include him rescuing the family sheep or eluding death by inches or, they're about his times serving as a missionary in Japan - these stories usually include freezing conditions and/or drowning rats in his apartment.



I can't forget to mention how many of his stories begin with, "When I was a little girl..." rather than, "Once upon a time..." A classic in our home.



2. My dad is an avid videographer/photographer



My siblings and I often joke about the fact that we have lived the life of movie stars. I would wager that all totalled, I have more film time than Brad Pitt. If you think I'm joking, I'll show you the hundreds of DVDs my dad has burned, each of which has endless hours of family videos on it. Honest, anytime I want to, I can go look up any event in my life and watch it. And, I do mean ANY event. He has it all, from losing my first tooth, to skits that my siblings and I would put on, to my high school graduation. My life has been well documented.



Believe it or not, there are some set backs to living a life "under the spotlight". Not only do you have to be careful about what you do on film, because, who knows who will eventually see it. But, there are also those times when you just don't want to be filmed. Anytime my siblings or I would protest as my dad pulled out it his faithful camera, the phrase, "This is for posterity" would echo in our ears. This phrase is now one of our families biggest inside jokes.



3. My dad is a pretty good cook



Ever heard of mush? Basically, it's a thick porridge. And, it's what I ate every morning before school. To be honest, I hated it. But, I love the memories.



As my siblings and I would be sitting around the table, none of us finishing our mush, we would receive words of encouragement from our father:



"Come on Hiram, it will make a man out of you
, like it did me"



Or, "Come on Hannah, it will put hair on your chest, like it did me."



Who wouldn't eat their mush after receiving such encouragement?







Recently, it was my Dad's birthday. The big 60. You wouldn't guess his age by looking at him though. He has "young genes". Still, it's pretty crazy.



My Dad doesn't even know I blog, so, without trying to make this blog one of those "public expressions of love". I just wanted to thank my Dad for all the good times.



Thanks for the memories, Dad. I love you!

1 comment:

  1. I love you! I love Dad! I'm so glad you included, "When I was a little girl..." Also if you want people to watch the testaments, include the link :)

    ReplyDelete