Sunday, August 7, 2011

Become as a Little Child

"And again I say unto you, ye must repent, and become as a little child..."

Lately, I've been attending an institute class taught specifically to those with special needs. This has been one of the highlights of my week, here's why:

Big smiling faces, playdough, sitting by Carl, signing, drawing, matching games, acting, laughing, occasionally dancing, and best of all - learning life lessons from people who truly are as little children.

One of the latest lessons I've learned comes from the example of a couple of wonderful girls named Jessica and Andie. Jessica is shy. Andie is loving. Both are lovely. Recently, as Jessica stood in front of the class, she started to cry as she shared a few thoughts about Christ. She then sat in her seat and proceeded to cry silently. Andie, took note of this, and was (I'm a little ashamed to say) the only one who cared enough to go over and comfort Jessica.

As the two embraced, our attention was drawn to Andie, who proceeded to flip through her scriptures. Once she found the scripture she was searching for, she read aloud;

"And whoso receiveth you, there I will be also, for I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up." - D&C 84:88

Some experiences are impossible to put into words. In this case, all I can tell you is, that at that moment, the class went silent and the Spirit of love was felt by all.

The thing that struck me about this whole experience was the thought of just how much I can learn from everyone, especially those who are "childlike".

"And again I say unto you, ye must repent, and become as a little child..."

1 comment:

  1. As much as I felt the need to go to a different class I really miss being there! I love them!

    ReplyDelete